Friday 15 October 2010

La Veta dining


Bye Bye my American pie ...
Perusing some of the gastronomic wonders of our trip ..  the slow food devotees,  Ryus Avenue Bakery , and their food products were something to behold. Not just because the bakery is only open three days of the week - but that the queue to get the food is mind boggling - and the locals go early before the tourist steam train from Alamosa arrives (a few times a week). The bakery website apologises for the queue being out the door in peak months!!!  So ... a Canadian friend I work with informed me one day, when I produced a home-made lemon meringue pie for morning tea, that in North America there was an entire food group called "pie". One of the "bucket list" items from the trip was that I wanted to try real American pie - and thanks to the Ryus Avenue Bakery, I did! Home made fresh cherry pie. I can still taste it ....

Chicago was no where in sight ...
And to complete the menu, I also had the not-so- inconsequential Chicago Hot Dog as a first course ... and it was absolutely, totally delicious. Indescribable doesn't cover it -  and I managed to inhale it without the aid of  antacid. The only thing better than the dog was the bowl of 'slaw accompanying the future heart attack.  All of us saved our packets of accompanying potato crisps for ... Ernest. The breads produced in this bakery were so good it ruined out taste buds and expectations for the next few weeks ...  C'est La Veta and thanks to Sue Dennis' blog for reminding me that some of the food on our trip was gastronomically delightful!

No comments: